Ambrosia - when it blooms, good and bad
Children and adults are looking forward to the onset of spring and summer. And the cold days are replaced by warm days. The sun's rays are getting hotter, birds singing is heard, the grass starts to turn green, the first flowers appear. Unfortunately, this time is not pleasant and harmless for everyone. Along with summer days, an allergy occurs, which is caused by the pollen of plants.
What is ragweed
The plant has a thick stem, on which carved leaves are densely located. They give attractiveness. Ambrosia grows throughout the south of Russia.
Ambrosia is a weed, and the sonorous name is borrowed from the name of the fragrant ointment, which the ancient Greek gods rubbed into the skin. The shape of the leaves resembles wormwood, occurs annually and perennial, and is included in the Aster family. It reaches two meters in height, and as the root grows to four meters. The length of the leaves can be up to 15 centimeters. The upper leaves have light green hues, as they approach the root they darken, the lowest ones are closer to the gray color. Flowering time depends on the species (from July to October).
Ambrosia from North America. The plant is difficult to remove, it multiplies rapidly in sections of dachas or private houses.
In the wasteland can be found on the territory of Ukraine, Belarus and southern Russia. Weed grows along the roads. It is actively expanding towards the middle of April, in June, growth and further development is taking place. Wormwood leucorrhoea is considered a malignant weed, with a zone of distribution right up to the Pacific Ocean.
Ambrosia resembles medicinal herbs, which allows it to grow with impunity. People do not exterminate it precisely for this reason, although the pollen of the flowering weed causes a strong allergic reaction, down to choking.
When Ambrosia Blooms
The most difficult period for allergy sufferers is summer. Particularly difficult is the period of flowering of ambrosia. An allergic reaction exhausts a person for one season, so that he comes to life until next year.
Seeds came to Russia by accident.They are imported with grain, which was sown in the fields with cereal crops. At first, the plant began to grow in the south of Russia, in the Krasnodar Territory, where climatic conditions are similar to the weed's homeland, North America.
Due to global warming, ambrosia has begun to spread in temperate latitudes, which indicates seed vitality. An adult plant can produce 40,000 seeds that can germinate in any conditions. Seeds retain properties for reproduction even after 40 years.
Damage caused by ragweed
Ambrosia, despite its attractive name, causes many problems not only to landowners, but also causes significant damage to health, in severe cases leading to death. At the time of flowering pollen begins to irritate the respiratory tract, making it difficult to breath. It is for this reason that the weed belongs to the quarantine object.
Anyone in contact with ambrosia will experience a serious allergic reaction caused by pollen. There may even be an acute attack of suffocation.
Pollen is small in size,which allows unobstructed penetration into the respiratory tract. In contact with the mucous membrane, it causes irritation, which entails the appearance of allergies. Reactions are different - ranging from fever to asthma.
Avoid contact with the plant is recommended during pregnancy and during lactation. If you have prescribed medicines that contain ambrosia, you should consult with your doctor.
A weed plant causes irreparable harm not only to human health, but also to the environment.
Ambrosia drains soil significantly. As soon as a seed appears that grows to a process, literally in a couple of years the whole territory is covered with a weed of this species. This stability is promoted by a root that grows to 4 meters. He gets water from a depth to which the cereal plants are not able to reach.
At the time of growth weed inhibits cultivated plants. When ambrosia sprouted and began to pick up greens, it acquires the ability to shade cereals, taking all the nutrients and moisture from the soil. In those places where there is ambrosia, cultivated plants begin to reduce yields.
In the process of growth displaces grass from the meadows. Getting into the hay, significantly reduces feed quality. Over time, it begins to replace the honey plant, which contributes to the deterioration of equilibrium in the biocenosis.
Many people think that ambrosia is harm and must be destroyed as soon as possible. This issue is engaged at the highest level. Many cities and towns have orders for the destruction of plants. Despite this, ambrosia is often used in traditional medicine. This is due to the fact that it contains nutrients.
Use in medicine
The plant is rich in essential oils, minerals, vitamins and many other useful substances.For therapeutics, all parts are applied - from seeds to roots. In most cases, tinctures are prepared, which include alcohol. The drug is used externally or inside.
Ambrosia is used as a medicinal herb widely. Its main use is the fight against parasites that appear in the digestive tract. The plant has anti-inflammatory properties, lowers fever. Used for dysentery.
If you stretch the leaves, gruel can be used as a compress for bruises and wounds. Homeopaths are used as a basis for creating medicines for allergies.
Ambrosia essential oil has a strong aroma. Therefore, the plant was named in honor of the fragrant ointment. Smell can cause headache.
Ambrosia is not an easy plant and this is not surprising. It is both deadly and medicinal.A weed is rich in beneficial substances, which are used in small dosages as a medicine.
Doctors have found that most types of ambrosia have bactericidal properties. The plant helps to destroy cancer cells, and in some cases prevents their appearance.
How to deal with ragweed allergies in adults and children
Allergists attribute the plant to one of the most harmful, aggressive and dangerous species. This is due to the fact that pollen can not just cause allergies, but also lead to death.
For the appearance of allergies do not need to plant in close proximity. Pollen can affect a person even hundreds of meters away.
Signs and Symptoms of Allergies
Ambrosia is usually referred to as a quarantine weed, as if in contact with skin, mucous membranes, or if ingested, an allergic reaction occurs. A large percentage of allergies occur not only in adults, but also in children, especially at the time of flowering in July and August. Pollen is a particular hazard for pregnant women.
Allergic symptoms include:
- Runny nose and nasal congestion.
- Itching on legs and hands, contact with plants.
- The level of itching increases every time.
- Redness of the skin and eyes.
- Discomfort in the throat.
- Cough begins.
- The skin is swollen.
- Increased sweating.
- Headache, nausea.
Severe allergies occur during pregnancy. Fatigue appears, appetite disappears, mood worsens. If there was direct contact with ambrosia, edema appears on the face, which spreads to the lips, eyes, hands and feet, coughing, migraine appears.
Allergies and children are difficult. In addition to weakness, cough and pain in the head, the temperature may rise, which is accompanied by suffocation. If the allergic reaction is prolonged, the child may have an asthma attack.
If you suspect allergies, be sure to consult a doctor. The disease is slower if the contact with the pollen was not in person. Drugs are prescribed only after the patient is examined by a specialist.
- "Loratadine."Helps prevent the appearance of edema, removes them.
- Claritin. For adults they produce tablets, syrup is provided for children. Apply the medicine once a day.
- "Suprastin." Available in pill form and in ampoules. Treatment of children under one year should be carried out under the strict supervision of a doctor.
- "Aleron". The drug is available in tablets, helps eliminate allergic symptoms. The drug has many positive reviews.
- "Cetirizin." One of the drugs that instantly fixes the problem. Use can adults and children over 12 years.
- "Tavigil." Designed for children over 12 years old.
Medications relieve allergy symptoms. To stabilize the condition, it is recommended to use nasal and eye drops, apply medicines that relieve swelling and pain.
Before you begin treating an allergic reaction, consult your doctor. This is necessary in order not to harm the body. Folk remedies help to improve the overall condition.
- Celery leaves are minced. Squeeze the juice, in which honey is added in proportions of three to one.Use 3 times a day for 2 tablespoons.
- Approximately 9 tablespoons of pine needles, 2 tablespoons of ground rosehips, 1 tablespoon of peeled onions are poured with water and put for 15 minutes on the fire. The resulting broth is filtered and drunk as tea 3 times a day.
- Water is filled with 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1 tablespoon of pumpkin peel and the mixture is brought to a boil, and then cooked for 20 minutes. The cooled broth is consumed in 100 ml twice a day.
- Nettle will help to get rid of itch. To do this, take 1 tablespoon of nettle, pour water and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes. Broth consumed in the form of heat throughout the day about 6 times. If necessary, can be used externally. Caution should be used by pregnant women, the elderly and children.
How to overcome ragweed in the suburban area
At first glance, the plant seems harmless, what's wrong. Ambrosia acts as an invulnerable enemy, resistant to most chemicals.
There are many chemicals that help to easily destroy weeds at any stage of growth, but none of them can cope with ambrosia. On pastures or crops of such substances is prohibited to use.
- The main way to get rid of ambrosia is to remove it along with the root, which is rather difficult if you consider its length. Until flowering, you can mow the weed, but it is not for long. The plant grows quickly and in place of one new two appear. The most important thing is to start working on time, until the moment of flowering and the formation of seeds.
- As a struggle, the site is also improved. The wasteland, on which the weed grows, can be planted with flower beds, making alleys and sidewalks.
- Grass crops are planted on the verges, which make it difficult to spread, for example, bean varieties. This option is suitable for removal from the field.
- In some cases, insects called Ambrose leaf beetles come to the rescue. Bugs eat young ambrosia, destroying it. Unfortunately, insects in Russia could not settle down. But scientists are trying to bring out their new species.
Why is the plant so tenacious?
In North America, the homeland of ambrosia, there are many insects and other plant species that destroy the weed. On the territory of Russia, such methods are not used, since it is difficult for insects to get used to climatic conditions.
Weeds are not afraid of drought due to long roots, and adult species are able to produce from 40 to 140 thousand seeds annually. Seeds can ascend even after several decades.
At that moment, when it became clear that ambrosia appears on the site and it is impossible to deal with it, you should ask for help in quarantine management.
Scarlett Johansson Meets Colin Joost
Colors in which things look more expensive
One-page mini organizer
Thanks to these tips your sofa will look like new
How to pick up a gold brooch
Try to score 10 out of 10 in this test. It is almost unreal