How much water is in a person?

We all know from school how much water is in the human body. This substance is in a different state (free, bound or structured) and ranges from 90 to 55 percent of the mass of the human body.

Moreover, a person is born with the largest part of the fluid in the body (according to some data, water makes up 97% of the mass of the infant's body) and over time it is replaced by organic and mineral substances. You can find information about what else a person is in our article What is a person? Thus, the human body "dries out" in old age to the content of only 50-55% of water.

How much water is in a person - distribution by organs and tissues

The percentage or volume fraction of water in different organs and tissues of the human body is different. So, most of all H2About in the blood and lymphatic fluid, it is approximately 92%. In the second place is the brain, the amount of water in which about 85%. In the liver and kidneys, water ranges from 69 to 82 percent, and the muscles are approximately ¾ composed of water.The least amount of fluid is in bone tissue (28%) and fat deposits (up to 25%).

The largest amount of water in the body (70%) falls to the share of intracellular water, which is part of the protoplasm of cells. In this form, H2About just called structured, it is dissolved in various organic matter and minerals. The remaining 30% of the total volume of water is extracellular fluid (plasma liquid, lymph fluid and extracellular).

An experiment to determine the amount of fluid in the body

The amount of water in a human body was established in 1940 by a lieutenant colonel of the Japanese army, when during the war the most incredible experiments on people were carried out in their cruelty. The experiment was that a living person was closed in a closed room, gradually raising the temperature of the air, literally drying the person. The "experimental" died at the seventh or eighth hour of the experiment, and after only 15 hours his body was transformed into a dried mummified figure. The mass of such mummies, according to the results of several dozen of similar “studies”, averaged 22% of the initial weight. Thus, as a result of these brutal experiments, humanity learned how much water there is in a person.

The role of water in the human body

Water is a universal solvent for most substances, both in the human body and other living substances and plants. It performs many vital functions, including thermoregulation, participation in digestion processes, transmission of nerve impulses, etc. The body’s water balance is regulated, mainly by the kidneys, but the gastrointestinal tract and lungs also take an active role in this process. Water enters our body in pure form or bound, as part of food products.

Loss of fluid (for example, during active physical exertion) is manifested by certain symptoms. If a person “dries up” by 1%, he feels thirsty, from 1% to 2% - his stamina decreases, and up to 3% - the person “leaves power”. With the loss of 5% of water, physiological processes such as a decrease in urine and salivation occur, the heart rate increases, apathy and nausea occur, and the muscles weaken. In general, the entire body adjusts itself to lose as little fluid as possible.



Related News


Sea container - one of the best ways to transport cargo
How to get rid of mold in the apartment
What is political science
Cinnamon with honey for weight loss: recipes for a diet
Druzhinin: In the family, I fulfill desires. But first, bargain
Photo collage from family photos
How to choose a bread machine according to the parameters correctly