How to determine the authenticity of a ruby?
The magic of jewelry, in which there is a natural ruby, is shrouded in a haze of mystery and is known only to the owners of antique relics. The value of the gemstone is the reason for the appearance on the international market of synthetic imitations imitating the nobility of a real mineral.
Gold earrings with diamonds and rubies, SL;gold ring with diamonds and rubies, SL(prices link)
Differences ruby from fake
Before purchasing an exquisite jewelry with red crystal, it is important to ensure its authenticity. You can learn about the origin of ruby at home or with the help of special expertise.The main thing is to apply effective methods of testing natural stone:
- Place the precious mineral in an empty glass jar. If there is a natural ruby in front of you, then radiation of pale red color will appear in the container.
- If you immerse a real stone in a tank with cow's milk, the liquid will acquire a characteristic pink tint.
- Considering the genuine mineral in the hands, on one side of the stone the color will be maroon and saturated, and on the other side light red and faded.
- Mechanical damage on synthetic stone - a visually noticeable, straight and shiny strip. The crack on natural ruby has a zigzag shape and a matte color.
- If you put a real gem on a closed eyelid, it will stay cool for a long time. Fakes will heat up in a short period of time, “absorbing” the temperature of a person’s body.
- Unlike synthetic products under the influence of ultraviolet rays natural ruby becomes orange.
- If there are bubbles in the structure of the precious mineral, they will be red and round. In imitation of ruby impregnations "empty", hollow, white hue.
- The density of natural stone is much higher than artificially grown minerals, so the weight of identical jewelry from ruby and counterfeit is different.
For the manufacture of cheap fakes jewelers use glass or plastic, which after cutting are visually similar to natural rubies. To verify the authenticity of the gem, it is recommended to check the crystal using all the methods described above. Only an integrated approach to the identification of natural ruby guarantees you the quality of the mineral.
Gold pendant with diamonds and rubies, SL;gold earrings with diamonds and rubies, SL;gold ring with diamonds and ruby, SL(prices link)
Useful information about rubies
To avoid falling into the tricks of scammers offering to buy at an affordable price a natural ruby, remember the uniqueness of the precious stone. Before entering into a transaction, be guided by the following facts:
- The cost of a bright red high quality ruby starts at $ 10,000 per carat. Such minerals are mined in quarries in Burma and do not enter jewelry stores, but are sold exclusively at auctions.
- Souvenirs are not made of expensive crystals, stones are used only in the production of jewelry.
- For 50 years on the international market jewelry stores lacked natural rubies. The number of red minerals remaining in the world determines their uniqueness and determines the price of crystals.
- Antique stones of a dark-burgundy shade from a class of oxides, made before the XIX century - a priori genuine. Jewelry with rubies was intended only for high-ranking officials and royal persons, so jewelers did not even think about fake crystals.
The trimmed rubies are bordered with noble metals or inserted into tiaras, crowns and wands. At the auctions are exposed rings, earrings, necklaces and amulets with precious stones of compact size.
Only a gemologist will be able to distinguish a natural stone from a skillfully faceted fake, grown in specially created conditions, after the examination - visually the crystals
Knowing how to determine the authenticity of a ruby, you can not worry about the natural origin of the product.The main thing is not to forget to use useful information before buying a gem.
Headphone Plug Repair
How to do barbell and weighting
Sew a summer dress with flounces on the shoulders
When you need to remove the onions from the garden - turnip and cottonwood sets
Useful Properties of Unusual Hikama
How to wear a bike outside the gym
Cold and warm flavor: flower arrangements
Needle-punched Dornit: where and how to apply this material