How to make a screen for a battery with your own hands: an effective solution
Every good owner, especially after the repair, wants to perfect the design of the room. But there is always a small moment that spoils the whole picture, for example, a battery that does not want to fit into the overall composition. Of course, you can order an exclusive screen in the company engaged in similar work, but it is better to dodo-it-yourself battery screen.
If you decide to do this job yourself, you need to remember the most important thing - the functional purpose of the battery. It should heat the room, and the screen should not be an obstacle for this. It is precisely the fact that the screen, it would seem, will delay the heat, repels many who want from such an idea. But there is an opportunity to make a screen that not only will not retain heat, but on the contrary - will strengthen its entry into the room.
Some theoretical points
How does the heating battery work? Heat from the radiator to the room is transferred using a stream of heated air — convection — and thermal radiation in the infrared. The ratio of these criteria varies, and depends on the temperature of the water in the heating system, external factors and the design of the radiator.
From the foregoing, it can be concluded that the radiator screen must ensure the free transmission of infrared radiation and the circulation of warm air. Therefore, the correct screen should not be solid or have too small and rare holes.
The best screen panel on the battery is a rather rare grille. Also a prerequisite for good circulation of heat flow is a large space above the radiator. But this is not all the conditions that are necessary for heat exchange, which will not yield to the staff.
To get a properly functioning screen, you need to have two qualities.
- It must have good thermal conductivity so that infrared radiation is given out, and does not remain in the screen space.
- The darker the inside of the screen, the better - the dark color emits and absorbs radiation better than any other.What color to decorate the casing from the outside is a matter of taste, and from the inside it is necessary to cover it with black.
A lot of heat goes to unnecessary warming up of the wall behind the battery. To remedy this situation, it is useful to install a reflective screen on the wall. It should be brilliant - it can be a heat-insulating mat, from a brilliant material with a layer of padding polyester. It will reflect heat on the screen covering the battery, increasing the flow of infrared radiation. It is possible to use aluminized polystyrene as such a screen, but due to its rigid structure, it must be installed before mounting the battery.
From what and how do we do it?
First you need to decide on the material from which the screen will be made.
- Plastic. It must be immediately abandoned, its disadvantages lie in its high price, poor thermal conductivity, the inability to give it a beautiful and neat appearance at home. Over time, it can deform from high temperatures.
- Metal. It conducts heat well, but is difficult to process - special tools are needed.
- Wood - poorly conducts heat, but if you do it right, you get a quite effective casing for the radiator.
- Drywall. This material can be prepared so that it is ideal for the manufacture of the screen.
So, we stop on drywall:
- To prepare you will need a needle roller, which you need to walk on the wrong side of the material.
- Next, the drywall on both sides must be impregnated with a water emulsion of PVA two or three times. The emulsion improves thermal conductivity and paint will easily fall on the treated surface. Sawed and processed material after processing is easy and smooth.
- An important condition for the good operation of the casing will be the correct size and location of the front decorative strips of its grille. Even at the marking stage, it is necessary to provide for the gaps between them to be wider than themselves. The best, especially in the case of cast iron batteries, will be their vertical location.
- A box made of plasterboard allows not only to close the radiators themselves, but also to hide the pipes that fit them, thus spoiling the interior space.
- Placing the box on the wall shouldn’t cause any problems - everyone who has ever dealt with drywall knows that the use of special metal profiles is the ideal solution. Making a frame for the future screen out of them is a simple matter, giving room for the creative imagination of the master.However, the supporting frame can also be made from a wooden bar - as it is more convenient for someone. And in fact, and in another case, drywall blanks are attached to it with screws.
Small, but very useful tricks
Now, of course, you can collect - and the screen is ready. But it is better to make two more significant constructive additions, which will significantly increase the heat dissipation of the radiator.
- The first is the aerodynamic visor, which will not allow the formation of a “heat congestion” in the space under the sill. You can make it from galvanized sheet or even thick cardboard, pasting it with food foil. It begins with a visor from the top of the heat shield located behind the battery, and ends under the sill of the sill, thus directing a warm airflow directly into the room.
- Another trick is the injector of warm air that accumulates between the outer surface of the radiator and the inner surface of our screen. It can be made of the same material as the visor, but consists of two planes that create a tapering air passage to the top of the screen. At low temperatures, the action of the injector is almost imperceptible,but when the radiator "is completely uncoupled", a directed stream of heated air leaves the injector, creating even a kind of heat curtain from the window.
Now you can finally assemble the finished screen and begin the finishing work. After giving it the desired color or pattern, the protective screen will turn into a decorative element of the room interior.
Vulcan Casino Slot Machines
How to make a beautiful volumetric hairstyle with your own hands
Blackberry shade - a color that suits all brunettes
Malignant Tumor Therapy
Cap knitting needles for a newborn
Scarlett Johansson Meets Colin Joost
Fresh juices: good or bad