How to Update Your Laminate Countertops Without Replacing Them
How to Renew Laminate Kitchen Countertops
Preparing Countertops for Updating
Purchase supplies.You’ll be using Rust-Oleum’s new Countertop Transformations coating system as your paint gloss along with needing paint brushes, plastic sheeting (to cover surrounding areas), paint rollers, rubber gloves, painter’s tape and sandpaper.
Degloss the countertops using a diamond-embedded sanding kit.You will want to create a smooth, porous surface on your countertops so you will need to sand off any finish.
Use a light touch when sanding countertops.You don’t want to create an uneven surface by getting too rough during the sanding process. Instead lightly smooth the sandpaper over the countertop until you see light scratches and a dull surface.
Vacuum or wipe counters clean.Sanding will generate a plethora of dust and debris. You’ll want your countertops clean and debris-free before you apply the new gloss.
Cover or protect cabinet and floor area.Before you paint you’ll want to keep other areas of the kitchen free from paint splatters. Use heavy plastic sheeting and painter’s tape to cover surrounding areas before you paint. Don’t forget to cover the sink drain to protect it from any chemicals falling into the drain.
Apply the first base coat of gloss.This coat of paint provides a sticky surface for you to add your paint chips and decorative touches.
- Apply the paint in a thick coat to ensure you have enough paint to accept the paint chips.
- Work quickly as this paint dries very fast--typically within 20 minutes. For best results work with a buddy so one person can roll on the paint over the backsplash while the other person rolls it over the countertops.
Add the paint chips using a gloved hand.Use the enclosed dispenser to add chips while you cover the surface evenly. This kit comes with a lot of chips so apply them liberally, making sure you cover any stains or areas that contain scratches.
- Allow area to dry for 12 to 24 hours before sealing the area.
Sealing and Protecting Countertops
Vacuum loose chips after the base coat is completely dry.Use the enclosed chip scraper to knock down rough chipped edges.
Sand the entire surface, sanding lightly over the edges.Apply pressure, but avoid sanding to heavily so you don’t remove all the paint chips. You want the chips to look as though they are part of the countertop.
- Although the sanding process will lighten the area, the top coat will darken it back up again.
Vacuum sanded debris and wipe clean with damp microfiber cloth to prepare it for the clear top coat.
Add clear top coat using a thick brush.Apply paint liberally to entire surface and re-apply after you make one pass to the area.
- Allow area to dry for up to 48 hours (you can remove plastic sheeting after surface is dry to the touch--usually around four to six hours).
QuestionMy counter tops are green marble laminate. Is there any way to duplicate that look when refinishing them?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerI'm sure a decent artist could repaint over it for an almost perfect match, but I'd be more inclined to clean it with Comet and isopropyl alcohol to make any scratches disappear and then just slather polyurethane over it. Or have the artist just fill-in completely worn away areas and then polyurethane everything.Thanks!
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Work in small sections to ensure you have enough time to not only roll on the base paint but to add all the chips.
- Keep the base coat moist so it receives the paint chips. Use a small spray bottle (which should be included in the kit) to occasional moisten the surface.
- Consider purchasing painting tools (brushes and rollers) designed for counter restoration projects.
Video: Renew Old Laminate Countertops
Exactly How Vanessa Hudgens Eats And Works Out To Get THAT Body
How to Lose Weight and Gain Muscle
Thakoon is the Next Designer to Collaborate WithKohl’s
DIY Style: Knitted Infinity Scarf
A Valentines Day Gift Guide for Every Stage of the Relationship
11 Perfect Gifts for the Pet Lover
A Review of By Vilain Gold Digger Styling Wax
Could Your Boss Be Sabotaging Your Relationship
I Paid Someone to Sleep Train My Infant While I Went On Vacation
How the PanamaPapers directly affect UK women in their 20s
21 Beautiful Wedding Pedicure Ideas for Brides
My Prosthetic Arm Makes Me Feel Sexy
How to Operate a CB Radio
Orange Skirt Outfits – 27 Ideas on How to Wear Orange Skirts
Date: 12.12.2018, 22:04 / Views: 82561