Secrets of growing a good harvest of carrots
Carrots are considered one of the most popular vegetables not only in our country, but also in different parts of the world. Practically in any kitchen garden you can find this healthy orange root vegetable. However, carrots do not always make us happy with a good harvest. We will reveal to you some secrets of how to grow sweet, even and large fruits.
- Carrots are a light-loving plant, therefore it is necessary to plant it only in open areas. Growing in the shade has a negative effect on taste, a decrease in the yield of the vegetable occurs.
- Another advantage of carrots is cold resistance. She is “not afraid” of a long cold snap and slight frost.
- At the same place carrots can be planted no earlier than 3 years.
- Root grows well in the beds, which a year ago grew tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, potatoes, cabbage, zucchini and legumes. And after parsley, dill, celery and parsnip it can not be planted.
Preparing planting material
To identify defective seeds it is necessary to fill them with warm water and leave for 12 hours. All substandard seeds pop up.
To accelerate the process of germination, you need to prepare the planting material. The seeds are laid out on a wet piece of cloth or gauze and kept for 2-3 days, periodically moistening the base with water. The air temperature should be around 24 ºC. In such conditions, after a few days, roots should appear. Seeds are ready for planting in the open ground.
We observe sowing terms
For a good harvest of any vegetables, the correct time for planting is important. For carrots, this rule is no exception. In terms of planting all varieties of this root is divided into: podzimye, early and late.
Depending on the maturity of the carrot variety, there may be:
- early maturing - 80-100 days pass from shoots to harvest;
- mid-ripening - from 100 to 125 days;
- late ripening - from 125 days or more.
Preparing for the early harvest in the fall
Podzimye varieties planted from late October to mid-November. If you correctly calculate the time of planting, then at the beginning of summer you will be provided with a young vitamin harvest. True, such carrots are not used for long-term storage.
For sowing, it is necessary to choose early-ripening or mid-season cold-resistant varieties suitable for autumn planting. Consider a few popular brands:
- Nantes-4 - one of the best early ripening varieties for winter and early spring sowing;
- Losinoostrovskaya-13 - the most cold-resistant species, best suited for north-western latitudes;
- Moscow winter - well grown in the central regions of Russia.
The autumn sowing period is calculated so that a thaw does not occur before the onset of stable frosts. Otherwise, the seeds will begin to germinate, and the first frost will certainly destroy the young shoots.
The bed must be prepared in advance, until the ground is frozen. Carrots grow well in loose light soil. Therefore, we deeply dig up the seat, make several grooves at a distance of 20 cm from each other and a depth of 2-3 cm.
Cover the prepared bed with a film so that it will not be washed away by rains and not covered by snow. Pour dry ground in bags for backfilling, and separately prepare compost or humus.
We wait until the frosty weather sets in and sow dry seeds (germinated seeds will die immediately).We fill the grooves with dry soil and from the top we mulch with compost or humus.
If the spring is covered with a foil, the harvest can be obtained even earlier. As soon as the soil dries, we begin to water the seeds. It is because of a lack of moisture at the time of formation of root crops that a bad crop can turn out.
After the emergence of sprouts, they must be weeded out, and add top dressing (any universal organomineral fertilizer with humates will do). In early June, it will be possible to try a new crop of carrots.
Spring is the best time for sowing
Early sowing should be carried out from mid-April to early May. When the probability of nocturnal frosts will be minimal, and the air temperature will not drop below 15 ∞C. The top layer of the soil must be heated to 8 ° C. A sharp onset of cooling can cause the formation of floral arrows, thus worsening the quality of carrots.
For better seed similarity, the bed can be covered with a film, and after the first shoots appear, it must be removed.
In the selected area, grooves are made, water is poured in them, seed is prepared, which then is filled with loose soil and humus. At the end we water again.
The following carrot varieties are suitable for sowing in early spring:
- Amsterdam - early-yielding variety of high yield;
- Alenka - beam ripeness appears already on day 45-47;
- Dutch woman - a variety characterized by a reduced accumulation of nitrates.
It is late varieties that are best suited for long-term storage and retain their taste and product quality well. They are planted from late May to mid-June. Harvesting in the northern regions of Russia ends at the end of September, and in the southern - in the second half of October.
Consider some late carrot varieties:
- The Queen of Autumn - a high-yielding variety with large and juicy fruits, retains its properties until the new harvest;
- Bayadera - root crops of this brand contain a lot of sugar and carotene;
- Trophy - a variety resistant to most diseases.
In order for the carrot to be well preserved and stay juicy for a long time, two weeks before harvesting it is not watered. After trimming the leaves, root vegetables should be dried in the sun for several hours. Before harvesting carrots in a cool store, it is carefully inspected and the spoiled fruit is harvested.
Without loosening, thinning and watering can not do
To grow good and large carrots, it is necessary to thin out the crops several times. The first thinning coincides with the first weeding, when the plant reaches a height of 5-7 cm, leaving a distance between the bushes of 1-2 cm. The second time this procedure is used, when the diameter of the root crops reaches 0.8-1 cm, then the gap between plants should be at least 3 cm. When thinning, weak shoots are removed, leaving more powerful ones.
An important condition for obtaining a high-quality crop is uniform watering throughout the growing season. From the lack of moisture, the fruits become coarse and less succulent, and with excessive moistening, the growth of the foliage increases and root growth is delayed.
In the period of no rain, watering is done 2 times a week. In order for the roots to develop normally, and the carrot grows evenly, it is necessary that the soil is saturated with moisture to a sufficient depth (up to 10-15 cm). A jet of water is directed into the grooves that need to be dug between the rows. To better absorb the liquid, the soil must be loosened before watering.
As weeds emerge, carrots are gently weeded.
With proper and timely care you are provided with a good harvest.
The main pest of orange root vegetables is a carrot fly. She lays her eggs in the spring directly into the ground, and the mature larvae gnaw through the passages in the roots, making them unsuitable for storage.
To save carrots from this pest, it is necessary to do the following:
- thin out the plants and immediately remove the leaves from the garden so that the smell does not attract the carrot fly;
- plant onions or garlic between rows or in close proximity with carrots, which will “save” it from pests;
- before sowing, treat the seeds with biologics (for example, with azotofit, fritotsidom-r or trichodermine).
Adhering to all the above tips, you can easily grow a good crop of high-quality, tasty and healthy carrots on your plot.
How not to eat a lot
How to make a directional Wi-Fi antenna
How to make Easter garlands
Paper garland with their hands for the New 2016
How to insulate the apartment for the winter
Tip 2: Essential Oils in a Home Medical Kit
How to make a screen for a battery with your own hands: an effective solution
How beauty standards change and who needs it