Stroke: Controllable and Uncontrollable Risk Factors
What are the Causes and Risk Factors for Dementia?
What are the Causes of Vascular Dementia?
After Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia is the most frequent cause of dementia, accounting for about 10 percent of all cases. Still, many experts believe that vascular dementia, like Alzheimer’s disease, is under-diagnosed. (2)
Vascular dementia often coexists with other forms of dementia. Autopsy studies reveal that 50 percent of people with Alzheimer’s also had another form of dementia, most commonly vascular dementia. This is especially true of the “oldest-old” — people who are 85 and above.
Vascular dementia is caused by impaired blood flow to the brain, which prevents brain cells from getting the oxygen and nutrients they need.
A stroke that blocks an artery in the brain has the potential to cause permanent damage and dementia. The severity of the stroke and its location in the brain determines its impact on thinking and reasoning.
Some strokes, called “silent brain infarctions," may not cause any obvious symptoms. However, the more strokes one has, the higher one’s dementia risk.
Risk factors for vascular dementia overlap with those for heart disease and stroke. They include:
- Age. Vascular dementia is rare before age 65; people in their 80s and 90s are most at risk.
- History of heart attack, strokes, or mini strokes
- Smoking. By damaging blood vessels, smoking raises the risk of both atherosclerosis and vascular dementia.
- Obesity. Carrying excess pounds heightens the risk of all kinds of vascular disease, potentially leading to vascular dementia.
- Atrial fibrillation. Abnormal heart rhythms, caused when the upper chambers of the heart begin to beat rapidly and irregularly, can reduce blood flow to the brain and result in stroke and vascular dementia.
Video: What are the risk factors of Breast Cancer - Dr. Poonam Patil
Caesar Haircut For Men – A Timeless Roman Empire Hairstyle
40 Cute Tapered Natural Hairstyles for Afro Hair
6 Things Medical Professionals Wish You Knew About Working Out In The Heat
Brown Hairstyles for Men
Woman Explains Why She Doesnt Want to Upgrade Her Small Engagement Ring
Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Poached Eggs, Avocado
The Pieces Gigi Hadid, Kendall Jenner, and More Wear Constantly
15 Super Trendy Plus Size Outfits With Stripes
MORE: How To Avoid Buyer’s Remorse: A Complete Guide for Fashion Lovers
7 Things You Might Not Know About Blake Lively
Apparently, Cardi B Feels Zero Remorse About Her Fight with Nicki Minaj