What to do in Paphos?
If you prefer a luxurious vacation, then you will surely enjoy in Cyprus. And to find out his best side and enjoy the chic of Cyprus, go to Paphos.
Paphos - a paradise on earth and a city of gods
Paphos is a city located in the south-west of the island of Cyprus and is the heart of the eponymous region. Geographically, it is divided into two parts: Lower or New Paphos and Upper. The latter is practically the center: it is here that all the important administrative institutions and buildings are located.
The lower town extends along the picturesque coast: most sights, restaurants, hotels, night clubs and bars are concentrated in it. Most of the inhabitants (about 80%) speak Greek, the rest use Turkish.
Paphos is known almost all over the world and not only as a center for luxury holidays (a loud name is just another confirmation of this). This city is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List, and in 2017 it is recognized as the European cultural capital.
Paphos also has an interesting and rich history. Studying the mythology, you can find out that it was here that the goddess of beauty Aphrodite was born, which came from sea foam. In addition, the legendary thinker Cicero lived in Paphos BC. And the apostle Paul spread Christianity here.
How to get there?
The easiest and only way to Paphos is by plane, and it has its own international airport. Some airlines have direct flights, but they are less frequent than before some other regions of Cyprus.
If for some reason a direct flight is not available, then you can first get to Larnaca, and then get to Paphos in one of several ways: by taxi, using a group tourist transfer or by public transport. The latter option is the most budgetary, but tedious. Taxi is expensive, so the transfer will be the fastest, hassle-free and convenient.
Where to stay, how to move around the city?
Since Paphos is a large and popular tourist resort, hotels and hotels here are very numerous and varied: among them there are both quite affordable for a small star, and five-star and expensive, working on an all-inclusive system.
Most hotels and inns are located along the coastline, so they offer stunning views of the sea. And if you do not want to splurge on accommodation, you can rent one of the guesthouses located in the surrounding villages.
You can move around the city by public transport - buses. They walk quite often, and in the midst of the tourist season the interval is only about 10-15 minutes. For economy, you can buy a day or a week-pass.
Another option is a bicycle that can be rented at the rental center. Renting a car is not cheap, and it is meaningless, because the city is not very big, and you can get to any of it precisely by public transport. And if you like walking, then just walk: all the most important is practically within walking distance.
Advantages and disadvantages
To begin, let's consider the advantages of recreation in the city of Paphos:
- Just a huge number of attractions, with almost all located next to each other. Therefore, to see the most interesting things, you will not have to travel to different parts of the city and spend a lot of time.In addition, the most popular places can be reached by tourist buses.
- Mild climate. You can relax in Paphos from mid-spring to mid-autumn, but it is especially good here in summer.
- It is very beautiful in here! What are some seascapes: they attract, fascinate and give a real aesthetic pleasure. But no less beautiful are the various architectural structures, which also delight the eye. You can make a lot of gorgeous photos.
- Special atmosphere. Just imagine: it was here that the goddess of beauty Aphrodite was born. And this means that you have a unique opportunity to touch the beautiful or even become a little closer to the Greek gods.
- Colorful cuisine that is replete with delicious and healthy Mediterranean cuisine made from seafood, vegetables, olives, cheeses, meats. The city has both fabulous restaurants, small cafes and even street bistros. And then there are great wines.
- The opportunity to enjoy the warm clear sea, well-groomed beaches and gentle rays of the sun.
- Costs. In Cyprus, there are a lot of quite affordable resorts for the middle class, but Paphos does not exactly apply to them, so you have to spend a lot of money on vacation.
- Unfortunately, this city is not very suitable for families with children, especially with small ones. First, for them there is practically no interesting entertainment. Secondly, many hotels are simply not designed to accommodate young guests and do not provide all the necessary conditions for them. But adolescents here will be quite interesting, as available water park, bird park, aquarium.
- Although the beaches of Paphos are numerous and clean, not all of them are comfortable. Some are covered with pebbles or large stones, while others have steep, rocky shores and steep slopes. But there are sandy sections of the coast that are comfortable for tourists.
The climate of Paphos is Mediterranean and therefore strongly influenced by the sea. So, it brings a lot of rainfall: the peak of the rain falls on a period from about the end of autumn to the beginning of spring, that is, it lasts the whole winter. In summer there is almost no rain. The average temperature at this time of the year varies between 25-32 degrees, but can rise higher. In winter it is cool here: about 12-15 degrees. Humidity level is about 85%.
What can you do?
Any tourist will find entertainment to his liking:
- You can lie on the beach, take a dip in the sea and get a chic, even tan.
- Stroll through the local souvenir shops and get something interesting and truly Cypriot.
- You can get gastronomic pleasure, having made a tour of local restaurants and cafes.
- Young people should plunge into the boiling nightlife and dance “till you drop” in one of the local nightclubs.
- Be sure to visit the Paphos water park and try out the slides here.
- Embark on a tour of the most beautiful historical sites of the city.
- Enjoy the luxurious nature of Paphos and inhale its aromas.
The most interesting places
The main attractions of Paphos:
- The legendary stone of Aphrodite, which, according to legend, is able to give beauty and youth. And nearby is the eponymous swimming pool.
- The oldest theater Odeon. Here to this day events are held.
- The ruins of an old castle, striking their former greatness.
- The real underground necropolis located in the rock is the Royal Tombs.
- Numerous picturesque Byzantine churches: Agia Kyriaki, Panagia Teossepasti.
- Chapel and holy spring of Solomonia.
- Agios Agapiticos Cave, connecting hearts of lovers.
- Catacombs of St. Solomon.
- Mosaics in the house of Dionysus.
If you manage to make a trip to Paphos, then it will definitely be remembered and will give vivid emotions!
New recipes for trendy and tasty salads for the New Year
Want to lose weight Maybe you can help ganoderma
Snowman from sock and rice
How to tie a fur hat with needles
How to stop envy
The web found evidence of the novel by Drake and Kim Kardashian